What Are Shower Chairs & Are They Safe for the Elderly?May 2nd, 2023
Sometimes, it’s difficult for people to understand the impact that mobility issues can have on a person. However, caregivers and those with limited mobility know how much of a toll it can take on someone’s life when performing daily tasks, like simply being able to take a shower, becomes more challenging. That’s why products designed to help improve mobility can have a world-changing impact on people’s lives.
Some such products include shower chairs, like the ShowerBuddy, which are assistive devices that help those with mobility issues and their caretakers make showers and baths an option again. But what are the benefits of shower chairs, and are they safe for older people and others with mobility issues?
Are Shower Chairs Safe?
Shower chairs or bath chairs, like ShowerBuddy, are designed with safety in mind for the elderly and others with mobility issues. One of the most common injuries for those with mobility issues is caused by slips and falls when trying to enter a shower. ShowerBuddy shower chairs are designed to reduce that danger. They are made from sturdy materials that resist rust and are designed to provide support, stability, and an easy way to get in and out of showers with less risk of falling on step-in raised-edge showers. In addition, some include seat and chest belts to help users stay in place.
Most of all, several different types of bath and shower seats are designed to assist with varying levels of immobility and circumstances. For example, ShowerBuddy’s Transfer Range is specifically designed to help people with disabilities get in and out of their tub or shower. Similar to the Transfer Range, the new ShowerGlyde bench/chair makes it easier to get in and out of the bathtub, whether there’s a toilet or vanity nearby or not.
The ShowerBuddy Roll-In Range does the same but is designed for showers without a raised edge. It includes chairs with wheels that allow users or caretakers to enter the shower easily.
Additionally, the ShowerBuddy Travel Range is designed to do the same but includes collapsible features that make it ideal for use when traveling. This range and variety in types of shower seats allow caregivers and people with disabilities to select a device that meets their specific needs.
What Are the Benefits of Shower Chairs?
Some of the main benefits of ShowerBuddy bath and shower chairs include:
- Providing stability while showering and bathing — The primary benefit of shower seats is that they provide stability while showering and bathing. They are designed to make getting in and out of a shower or bath more accessible and safer. They make bathing an option again for patients who may have had too much difficulty getting in and out of a tub.
- Supporting sitting or laying back — ShowerBuddy seats can accommodate different body positions for comfort or practicality when showering and bathing, including sitting or laying back.
- Safety inside a moisture-filled environment — Shower seats are made of aluminum and other materials that can withstand the moisture and humidity of bathroom environments.
- Gripping or locking down to surfaces for stability — The ShowerBuddy is designed for maximum stability, with suction cups that grip bathroom and shower floors.
- Providing ease of access for caregivers to assist — Shower chairs allow people with limited mobility to regain access to their home, but they are also designed to make it easier for caregivers to help.
- No bathroom remodeling — ShowerBuddy chairs allow you to address mobility issues in your bath or shower without bathroom modification.
- Maintaining privacy and dignity — When a person with mobility issues is once again able to shower or bathe on their own, it helps preserve their privacy and dignity, knowing they can perform that task for themselves and do not require a caregiver’s assistance.
These benefits of shower chairs are immeasurable to people with mobility issues. Having a sense of safety and stability while performing a daily task like showering or bathing provide them with peace of mind and a sense of independence.
Visit Our Showroom to Experience the ShowerBuddy Yourself
The best way to know which shower seat is right for you and to learn about the benefits of shower chairs is to try them out for yourself. We invite you to visit our 101 Mobility showroom in Bensalem, PA, where you can view and test ShowerBuddy models and have your questions answered by our helpful and friendly staff. Our showroom also includes recliner chairs, stair lift rentals, and other products designed to help you maintain your sense of independence, mobility, function, and life. Stop by our showroom today!